If I had a house salad, it would be this because it’s full of flavor. But what does this mean?
It’s aromatic, savory, salty, bitter, sour – just a nice balance of tastes…
And its all thanks to the ginger umami vinaigrette which is creamy and earthy, yet vibrant and savory at once. For such a complex salad, it’s surprisingly simple and adaptable.
Literally, you can even swap the kale for a combination of salad greens (red leaf, butter, or romaine) with excellent results. For an upgraded meal-worthy status, try adding seared salmon.
Steps for this Kale Salad
- Wash and dry the kale
- Blend the ginger umami vinaigrette
- Prepare add-ins (edamami, avocado, salmon)
- Toss the salad greens with the dressing, rub the kale for a couple minutes
- Add a pinch of salt per serving
Tip: You can even boost the fresh factor by adding an array of leafy herbs – optional but recommended.
To try this salad with fresh herbs
Remove the stems of the herbs, chop and toss with the greens just before serving.
Try mixing and matching these herbs by the handful:
Since I’m presenting this little gem as highly adaptable. I know you’ll want to make it your own. Tell me what works for you in the comments below.
Full of Flavor Kale Salad
- 1 recipe ginger umami vinaigrette
- 2 bunches lacinato kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- ½ cup frozen shelled edamame, boiled
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- Fill a small pot ¾ full with water adding a generous pinch of salt. Bring water to a boil and add edamame. Cook 1 minute and remove with a strainer spoon to cool.
- In a large bowl, massage the kale with about 1/2 cup of the dressing. Season with about 1 pinch of salt per serving. Taste and add more dressing and salt and serve with edamame, avocado, and lemon zest.