Some of the links on this page are affiliate links, which may pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you!
Condition: mesmerized; Mood: inspired. There’s just so much potential for this shredded chile chicken that I’m already imagining all the ways I could serve it up–restaurant style.
So I practically begged for a crock pot for Christmas this year, and I GOT ONE! It came fresh out of the box, even. As in, it’s not EVEN a hand-me-down!
It’s amusing to me that crock pots are that kitchen appliance that someone in the family has and is always lending out to everybody else. Thanks mom.
Since Christmas, I’ve made this chicken recipe twice already. Maybe because it’s that good or maybe because it’s that simple, and dare I say, affordable? These days, we’re on a tight budget…so when your budget requires you to eat-in a lot, it’s nice to know that you won’t be a slave to the kitchen every night.
Don’t get me wrong; I LOVE to cook, but I like it to come from a place of inspiration, not necessity.
Crock Pot vs. Slow Cooker?
By the way, do some of you say slow cooker? I know they’re the same thing because I looked it up! Google says, most people say crock pot (unless you live in Hawaii). Just curious.
Four Easy Serving Suggestions:
- creamy chile chicken enchiladas
- Bowl Style: chicken and rice
- burritos galore
- quesadillas or tacos
This recipe is now a staple in my house because you get to just throw a few ingredients (chicken stock, green salsa, spices, chicken breast, and cream cheese) into your slow cooker and hit a button.
5 hours go by…
And bam. You have chicken that is so tender, you can literally shred it with a fork. Then, you can use the shredded chicken in different ways so that you don’t tire of the same dish.
Let me know if you say crock pot or slow cooker and where you live:)
Green Chile Chicken Crock Pot
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 14 oz canned salsa verde
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 2 pounds chicken breast pounded
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 8 oz shredded mozarella cheese for serving
- Pour chicken stock and salsa verde into the crock pot. Add garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Place pounded chicken breasts on top, flip to coat.
- Use fingers to break cream cheese into dollops to cover each breast. Set crock pot to the low setting for 5 hours. Once cooked, the chicken will be very tender and can be shredded with a fork. Excess liquid can be separated or used as a flavorful sauce.
- Serve over rice with tortillas or use chicken and sauce for enchiladas. Top with mozzarella cheese.
More Dinner Recipes to Try:
- Grilled Chicken Banh Mi Bowls
- Hawaiian Pork Bowls
- Miso Salmon with Noodles
- Dutch Oven Meatballs
- Pork Pozole Verde