I’ve practically given myself whiplash with the number of times a ripening orange or grapefruit tree enters my field of vision. When it comes to citrus, I’m like a black Friday shopper; I wait all year long to fill my shopping bags to the brim. So let’s kick off the season with a truly worthy citrus salad with basil vinaigrette, shall we?
Some of the links on this page are affiliate links, which may pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you!
Any time I interact with a dish, I try to ask myself, “is this special? Will it be remembered?” That’s this salad. What makes this citrus salad with basil vinaigrette memorable is a very special navel called the cara cara. Just look at that orange red flesh!
Upon first glance, it may look like a grapefruit on the inside, but the taste is like an incredibly musky navel orange with a hint of tangerine. I first came across this orange at a farmer’s market 2 years ago, and we’ve been besties ever since.
Speaking of best friends, I’ve got the absolute best basil vinaigrette recipe that you’re going to want to put on absolutely everything (and I only share this one with friends). It’s my fabulous salad secret weapon, and it’s a real crowd favorite.
How to blend a dinner size portion of salad dressing
You may want to double the recipe and keep it in the fridge to smear copiously over pasta. I make it in a bullet blender, which is great for making small portions BUT if you try to make this in a wide-based blender, it may need to be doubled. Reason being, the amount of liquid you put in a blender should cover those blades. If you really don’t want to double the recipe, then I suggest using a food processor instead of the blender.
Citrus Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
Amazing Basil Vinaigrette
- 2 oz fresh basil
- 1 whole lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1/4 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 box mesclun greens mix
- 2 whole carra carra navel oranges, supremed
- 1/2 whole avocado, diced
- 2 oz burrata cheese, torn
- fresh dill, for garnish
- red pepper flakes, for seasoning
Make the Basil Vinaigrette
- Combine all the ingredients into the blender. Blend until completely smooth and set aside.
Make the Salad
- Spread the mesclun salad greens on a platter and top beautifully with supremed orange segments, avocado, and burrata cheese. Sprinkle with fresh dill fronds and red pepper flakes.
- Serve the basil vinaigrette in a ramekin next to the salad or spoon over top if serving right away.