A high protein breakfast bowl is a nutritious start to the day. Does anybody else try to focus on protein for breakfast? This has been a recent revelation for me. If I get a good amount of protein in the morning, I have a fighting chance of meeting my nutrition goals for the day. Plus, it makes me feel good.
This high protein bowl is also high in fiber thanks to a seed called quinoa. It’s amazing how eating this breakfast satisfies and fills my belly for hours. I also like how the protein comes from different sources. Sausage, tomatoes, spinach, eggs, and quinoa are the major players here–each seriously high in protein.
How to Make This Protein Breakfast Bowl (plus make ahead tips)
Since this recipe creates up to 6 breakfast bowls, you may want to break this into steps.
- Cook the quinoa
- Saute the breakfast sausage
- Add the quinoa to the sausage along with seasoning
- Fry an egg
Store the cooked quinoa and make the amount you want to eat fresh to order.
Over 4 days, I added my quinoa to the pan along with the fresh tomatoes, spinach, and onions and had breakfast ready in minutes. I like a runny yolk for this because it helps the dry quinoa have a more pleasing texture. Some people have a preference for a cooked yolk and that’s totally fine. I would just recommend a little sriracha for a bit of sauce.
Since quinoa can have a nutty flavor profile, it benefits from spices, salt, and the infused oil. When you add the olive oil to the pan, the green onions help season the oil which gets absorbed by the quinoa. While I use paprika, you can absolutely substitute other spices like garlic.
I decided to try a chorizo sausage because I don’t often find excuses to use it, but I think any sausage would work. The key to making this bowl flavorful is to cut the sausage into small pieces so that you get the rich umami flavor dispersed with the quinoa seeds.
Protein Breakfast Bowl
- 4 T olive oil
- 6 links sausage cut into half-moon slices 1/2-inch thick
- 2 cups quinoa cooked*
- 4 green onions sliced thinly
- 1 box cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bag spinach
- 2 eggs cooked to your preference
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook until slightly brown, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked quinoa, green onion, cherry tomatoes, paprika, and salt. Allow the quinoa to get somewhat crispy, about 4 minutes. Then stir in spinach. Toss to combine and cook the spinach just until wilted.
- Transfer to bowls and top with cooked eggs or store in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Garnish with sriracha or sliced green onion.
*Recipe inspired by Wildflower Bread Company