Summer is in full swing and I’m not all that hungry. What I am, is perpetually thirsty.
What I’ve been craving a lot are melons. I love a good cantaloupe and cucumber salad for lunch and these milky, sweet cantaloupe smoothies for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
These smoothies are just fresh fruit and coconut milk. They’re super light and cooling, and the texture is between a creamy smoothie and an icy slushy.
I actually think the cantaloupe is plenty sweet on its own, so I like mine sugar free with plain coconut milk. So, it’s worth stating that this smoothie is not only delicious, it’s healthy!
Picking the Best Cantaloupe for Smoothies
For making cantaloupe smoothies, you need really sweet, ripe cantaloupe, preferably freshly cut and frozen by you.
Ripe cantaloupe has a strong musky, sweet smell and may begin to soften in some spots the riper it gets. When this happens, it’s a great idea to freeze because then you don’t end up with any waste.
While the frozen cantaloupe formed a giant stuck-together mass in the freezer, I was able to remove chunks after defrosting in the microwave for about 1 minute. In retrospect, I might have spread the cantaloupe pieces on a tray for about 30 minutes in the freezer before combining in the same bag.
How to Make a Melon Smoothie
This quick and easy recipe comes together in less than 5 minutes in either the blender or food processor. If using the food processor, you may want to reduce the amount of liquid in the recipe to 1 1/2 cups to avoid over-filling.
If blending, combine all your ingredients at once for a super smooth and creamy texture. If using the food processor, start on low, and incorporate the ingredients while it’s running. This will take a bit longer to break up all the frozen fruit.
Just like that. You have a pure cantaloupe, sweet drink to cool off with. Now, there’s nothing more to do than taste and decide whether it needs any added sweetener. Enjoy!
More Summer Drinks
- Strawberry Lemonade Smoothie
- Healthy Chocolate Smoothie Shake
- Sunshine Tropical Smoothie with Turmeric
Cooling Cantaloupe Smoothie
- 4 cups frozen cantaloupe pieces
- 2 cups coconut milk beverage
- 1-3 tsp agave or honey optional
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Put 1 cup of the frozen cantaloupe inside a food processor. Turn on low speed. While the machine is running, add the coconut milk and the remaining cantaloupe pieces. Add sweetener (if using) and salt. Increase speed to high and blend until extremely smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Pour into a pitcher with a spout for easy pouring. Serve in glasses with a straw.
Some of the links on this page are affiliate links, which may pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you!