The combination of apricot and melty coconut is real food bliss in ball form. That, plus the little bit of toasty coconut on the outside? Do not make these if home alone.
These healthy bon bons or bites were loosely inspired by See’s candy. You know those apricot bon bons? Those candies are my kryptonite, so whenever I’m feeling my healthy-living powers dwindle, I turn to these not SO sugary bites to get me through.
I’d like to tell you that they’re great to have in a Tupperware in the back of the fridge. Like, at all times. But who am I kidding?
I’ve never had any leftovers. They’re gone that fast.
4-Ingredient Healthy Coconut Bites
What makes these bon bons healthy is that there’s no confectioner’s sugar or butter. They’re made with only a few simple ingredients like coconut butter, dried apricots, and lightly sweetened with maple syrup. Coconut oil binds everything together because it hardens when refrigerated.
How to Make Apricot Bon Bons Using Coconut Butter
Coconut butter may be unfamiliar to you, but at least this recipe is a breeze to make! You need 1 bowl and your hands. You can see how I form the balls in this short video where I combine chopped apricots with creamy coconut:
So, hopefully that clarifies things. Since coconut butter is quite hard at room temperature, I like to microwave it in a bowl for 60 seconds. Of course, a pot on the stove works too.
Making Coconut Butter
To make coconut butter from scratch, blend 14 oz dried unsweetened shredded coconut with 2 Tablespoons coconut oil. Scrape the blender and rest the motor, this may take several minutes. The end result will be thick and smooth with a flavor resembling shortbread.
Are you ready to make these apricot coconut bites disappear?
More Healthy Dessert Snacks
- Carob Mousse (a No-Cook, Dairy Free Pudding)
- Perfect Stovetop Popcorn
- Berries and Whipped Cream with Orange Liqueur
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog, please share how you got on in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what’s happening on The Frayed Apron.
Apricot Coconut Bites
- 1/3 cup coconut butter aka coconut manna from finely ground coconut meat
- 6 dried apricots finely chopped
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened dried coconut
- In a small bowl, warm the coconut butter just until melted in the microwave (about 40 seconds) or on the stove-top in a small pot. Stir the dried apricots and maple syrup into the melted coconut butter to form a paste.
- Chill the bowl in the freezer for 7 minutes to make the paste easier to roll. Meanwhile, add the shredded coconut to a skillet and toast over medium heat until golden and aromatic, 3-5 minutes. Spread the toasted coconut out on a plate.
- Dampen your hands with water and use your fingers to gently roll the paste into 10 small balls roughly 1-inch wide. Drop each ball in the toasted coconut flakes. Gently roll to coat then chill in the fridge and enjoy when firm.
Some of the links on this page are affiliate links, which may pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you!