Whether your goal is to eat healthy or to indulge that sweet tooth – these ice cream sandwiches will speak to you. They will call out your name come dessert time because they’re that good. But fret not. These ice cream sandwiches are healthier than they appear.
Last week, I discovered the Coconut Girl Paleo Ice Cream Cookies at Whole Foods. They come in different flavors, but what I really love are the ingredients. It’s a nutrient-dense dessert with less sugar, and I haven’t been able to stop obsessing over them. Hence, this recipe (yay)!
Watch How to Make Paleo Ice Cream Sandwiches in this Video:
Step 1: Make the Carob Ice Cream
My assumption is that you have an ice cream machine with a base that freezes for 24 hours (like this one). Since the freezing power of this machine is low, you must cool the “ice cream base” before pouring into the machine. I like to do this over a bowl filled with ice water. After 20-30 minutes of churning, you will have very soft ice cream aka “soft serve” texture. You need the cookie ready at this point.
Step 2: Cookie Sheet
You will need a food processor or blender to make the cookie batter. Pour it out on a silpat if possible or use parchment paper. Bake and allow to cool before spreading with ice cream. Use a rubber spatula to quickly move the ice cream sandwich to a cutting board. Wrap well with plastic wrap and freeze for 4 hours or longer. You need it to be very firm.
Step 3: Cut and Serve
Use a pizza cutter to portion into whatever shapes or sizes you want and store the sandwiches wrapped to prevent freezer burn. Enjoy asap for the best texture. Right out of the freezer, you may notice some ice crystals. Allow to defrost for 2 minutes and taste. The ice crystals will be less noticeable then.
Why Are Paleo Ice Cream Sandwiches Healthier?
Paleo ice cream sandwiches are a healthy grain-free and lactose free dessert option because they are made with nutritious ingredients like almond butter, eggs, and dates. Sandwiched between those layers is a creamy, cool carob ice cream that’s like a really fabulous fudgsicle, except it’s dairy free, caffeine free, and sweetened naturally with maple syrup and honey for a lower glycemic treat. Each ice cream sandwich is about 120 calories.
Perfect Vegan Carob Ice Cream
To make vegan ice cream, you need full fat coconut milk from the can. The balance of fat from the coconut milk and sweetness from the honey and maple syrup will result in the perfect ice cream texture. So, please note that changing the proportions is not ideal (but I’m happy to troubleshoot with you if you need to swap out an ingredient).
I hope you have fun playing with ice cream and folding cookies. If you find any of the steps to be overly complicated, I hope you’ll at least make the ice cream because it’s really amazing stuff!
More Healthy Dessert Recipes:
- Berries and Whipped Cream with Orange Liqueur
- Carob Mousse (Dairy Free Pudding)
- Tropical Turmeric Smoothie
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog, please share how you got on in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what’s happening on The Frayed Apron.
Healthy Paleo Ice Cream Sandwiches
Vegan Carob Ice Cream
- 1 14-oz can coconut milk must be full fat
- 3 tbsp carob powder
- 6 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch sea salt
Date and Almond Cookie Sheet
- 1/3 cup pure almond butter unsweetened
- 3 large eggs
- 8 dates pits removed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
Make the Carob Ice Cream
- Combine the ice cream ingredients in a small pot over high heat. The second the mixture boils, turn off the heat and whisk for 1 minute until clump free. Allow the mixture to cool before pouring into an ice cream machine. Follow your ice cream manufacturer's instructions.
Bake the Date and Almond Cookie Sheet
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, add all the cookie ingredients. Blend on high for 2 minutes until extremely smooth. Pour out onto the prepared baking tray and use a spatula to create a smooth rectangle shape about 1/4" thick.
- Bake for 14 minutes and allow to cool completely. Use a butter knife to score straight down the center of the cookie to divide in half.
Assemble the Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Spread the ice cream over half of the cookie about 1/2" thick while the ice cream is in the "soft serve" phase. Work a spatula under the other cookie and fold it over the ice cream to create a sandwhich. Carefully transfer to a cutting board lined with parchment paper. Cover and freeze for at least 2 hours or until completely frozen. Cut into squares and serve.
Some of the links on this page are affiliate links, which may pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you!