I’m Sara Furcini.
My love for cooking wasn’t always apparent to me. I guess my husband saw it before I did because he surprised me with a gift – a knife skills class.
Standing in that classroom with a white apron and a name tag, I became conscious of many things. I had been holding a knife incorrectly for years, and I couldn’t help but smile down at my perfectly cut carrot. Like a wave, it hit me – joy, bliss, happiness, excitement, exhilaration. I didn’t know it then, but I had found my life’s calling. Thus, began my frayed apron journey from home cook to chef to food blogger. The Frayed Apron reflects my life; as a home cook, I need practical meals that the family will love but the chef in me is always hungry for more. To balance these desires, you will find the tried and true classics as well as contemporary creations.
What You’ll Find Here:
- Tried and true recipes that work for you the very first time
- Step-by-step photos and videos
- Ingredient recommendations that take the guesswork out of shopping
- Seasonal menus for everyday family meals, holidays, and entertaining
Who are your recipes for?
Home cooks of all skill levels who want to pursue cooking for enjoyment.
Do you have professional training?
Yes, I’m a graduate of the Natural Gourmet Institute where I studied health supportive cooking. I’ve also worked as a recipe developer and chef Instructor.
Do you have a cookbook?
Who creates your photos and videos?
I take my own photos and videos using a Nikon D750.
How do you come up with recipes?
Most recipes are the result of trial and error testing, but I rely on instinct and basic cooking techniques a lot. Sometimes I get inspired by an ingredient, a flavor combination, or an experience I want to recreate.
How can I become a better cook?
Submit your email in the subscription box here, and you will receive free cooking technique videos to help you master the essentials at your pace.
How can I contact you?
If you have a recipe related question, please leave it in the comment section of the recipe. For general questions, please email me at sara(at)thefrayedapron.com. I try my best to answer questions and emails within a day or two.
Do you teach cooking classes?
I don’t currently have any classes on the books, but I love teaching and would be open to it.
Can I republish your recipes on my blog?
Sure, please just provide attribution to The Frayed Apron and link to the original recipe.
MORE ABOUT ME (IN A NUTSHELL)
- I was born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona, where I currently live.
- I met my husband at a Kung Fu school when I was 17.
- I’m a true introvert: nature, my family, a few close friends, a good book, and I’m golden.
- To pay for culinary school, I worked as a stagiaire for years under some amazing chefs; it was totally exhausting, and I loved every second of it.
- I worked in a Michelin star restaurant, and after every night shift, I went home and took notes about everything I learned.
- Looking back at my childhood, I’ve been creating books for years and have always enjoyed writing. In 2018, I launched The Frayed Apron and became a food publisher.
- I talk about food more than any person I know; it’s my favorite subject.
- Cats make me happy; I have 3. I’m equally obsessed with my goofy black poodle named Saiya.
- When I moved back home from New York, I developed a minor obsession with barbecue. I have great barbecue recipes!
- I’m obsessed with minimalism and seek only the best out of my kitchen tools.
- When I’m not cooking or eating, I love to travel. My goal is to sample soup from as many countries as possible.